Chapter 10



         The headphones were full of Malcolm John Rebennnack singing that classic Right Place Wrong Time number. His voice so distinctive laid over that classy deep south New Orleans kind of bluesy jazz beat that Donny was hooked on with the super cool piano tinkling away. He was well into the groove when through the loud sounds he heard the muffled thump of the front door slamming.

Bobby came in puffing and dragging two large bags, “those stairs of yours are a right bastard,” he said, “took me ages hauling this lot up.” His hair was all over and his T-shirt had that faint glow of background sweat. He wiped the back of his hand across his brow and sat down with a thump.

“Good for you,” said Donny, taking off the cans, “what you need’s a massive dose of proper exercise. When’s the last time you even put on a pair of proper runners? You must be the most unfit person I know.”

“Never. I can quite categorically state that I’ve never been running or looked at any running type of shoes. Just the thought sends me into a sweat. And anyway maybe I like being unfit.”

“Not even at school?”

“Nope. Not even at school. Too busy skiving off sports and drinking my mate’s dad’s booze and getting to know the girls real well, if you know what I mean. Enhancing my education… and theirs of course.”

“Well you need to change. You’ve managed to give up the weed with that stupid system of yours and some exercise would do you no harm. Try it sometime. You can come for a jog with me.”

“At the moment I’d rather chew my right hand off and I’ve stopped that stupid system as you call it. It worked and I don’t need it anymore. I'm a one thing at a time sort of guy. Once I’m sorted maybe I’ll give it a go but just at the moment I’ve more than enough to deal with. What’s that you’re listening to?”

“Dr John. Brilliant stuff, one of the most atmospheric musicians, don’t you think?”

“He’s good all right but I prefer the more pure blues all that old time stuff with the southern black guys picking away on their guitars and singing their passionate songs, you know, fellas like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson and I love Zydeco music.”

“That accordion led stuff?”

“That’s it a real mix of blues, rock and roll and soul. The amount of feeling those guys get into it is extraordinary.”

“Mmmm…never really had a go at that.”

“Give it a shot. If you're hooked on Dr John, Zydeco will take you to a much better place. Got some stuff somewhere. When I’ve moved in I’ll sort it out.”

“So, anyway, what’s in the bags?”

“Haute Cuisine matey, bloody Haute Cuisine. I’ve got a posh lady to entertain remember and I don’t want her to think I’m a slob with food.”

“Why not take it straight to the house? Save yourself a heart attack.”

“Thought as we were going there anyway… anyway I forgot about these bloody stairs, didn't I. Why’d you have to pick something up in the clouds?”

“Cheap, that’s why. First floor the most expensive - none of those ground floor security problems. Top floor real cheap with no lift. That's the province of fit people only as you have just found out of course.”

“Ha ha you’re making me cry. We’ll be eating light food only if I’m doing the shopping.”

“And what’s that then? Light food.”

“Prawn crackers. Loads of prawn crackers. Sack fulls of em and Maltesers for desert.”

“What about beer then? How’d you get around that? With all those heavy bottles.”

“Light ale. We’ll drink only light ale. In cans.”

“Ha ha, very good. Anyway how’d it go with Gloria?”

“Real good. She’s the best and the best thing to happen to me for… I can’t remember how long.” Bobby said with one of those yeah I had a real good time if you know what I mean looks on his face.

“What she think of all your films then?”

“Loved them although I’m not too sure she’s a great fan of the silent ones. She liked the one we watched all right but that was about Gloria and Bobby with Bobby saving Gloria from an evil Sultan that she thought was real cool.”

“So you’ll be seeing her again then?”

“Definitely as soon as I can. Said I would give her a ring in a day or so. Assuming we don’t end up in those stripy pyjama type of things.”

“All set for tonight? We’ll leave about seven.”

“Sure.” Bobby said with some trepidation. 

 

“See the name of this place then?” Donny said as they swung into the winding driveway just before eight in his car, a silver golf with dents in the wing and at least ten years old. The long wooden five bar gate was open with the name plaque on the top rail.

“Aubrey Place,” said Bobby, “the guy’s name was Aubrey, wasn’t it? Aubrey Beauchamp.”

“Bit pretentious naming your house after yourself, don’t you think?”

“Oh I don’t know. Why not? They probably changed the name when they moved in. I can’t imagine it’s always been called that. Anyway if you’ve got the money why not? Does it really matter?”

“Nope, suppose not. Just seemed a bit sort of flashy is all. Put your mask on now before we arrive in case she’s watching.”

They crunched their way over the gravel spitting a bit up here and there that clicked against the paintwork. Then Donny pulled up close to the front steps. “Go knock the door,” he said, turning off the engine and grabbing a blue silk scarf from the glove box.

“You sure about this?” Bobby full of last minute nerves.

“Course I’m sure. Get on with it. The longer we linger the greater the risk of someone coming. I’ll do the talking, you just stay quiet.”

Bobby adjusted the ski mask a bit so he could see better and lifted the large lion head knocker and slammed it a couple of loud booming quick ones. Donny came up next to him and they stood in the fading light like a couple of bandits. Bobby started tapping his foot. “Maybe she’s out,” he whispered, perhaps a bit too hopefully that made Donny stare at him and give him a nudge, one of those short reassuring ones.

“She’s in.” he said, “It’s a big house and she’s a way to walk. Don’t worry so much, I’ve got it all covered.”

They heard a noise behind the door and a distant voice saying, “who’s there. It’s a bit late?”

Bobby shrugged at Donny with a kind of did you think of this kind of glance and Donny whispered, “no problem we’ll….”

But before Donny could say more Bobby said quite loudly, “it’s the cat man Mrs Beauchamp. I’ve come about the cat.” They waited and after a few seconds heard the security chain come off and the door catch shift and the door opened wide with Lilly standing there in slacks and slippers staring at the two ski masks and looking curious. Not afraid as you would expect, just curious.

Donny said in a quite matter of fact way, “you’ve to come with us Mrs Beauchamp and no struggling.”

“Don’t worry about that I’m not the struggling type and never have been. I assume I’m being kidnapped? I’m being kidnapped aren't I? I’ll have to get a few things together first though if I’m leaving here,” she said, “I shall need my pills and all that sort of stuff. It won’t take long to throw a few things in a bag. There’s time for that I’m sure, isn’t there?”

 

Half an hour later they were travelling through the narrow lanes with Lilly in the back sitting upright with a pale blue silk scarf around her eyes. “Blue, my favourite colour,” she had said, “and silk as well. What next?”

It had taken her twenty minutes to pack and brush her hair and touch up her face, “can't go out looking a wreck, can I? How long do you think I should pack for?” she had said.

“Make it a week,” said Donny, “any longer and we’ll sort something out.”

They drove up the long driveway to the rented house, a small place but cosy looking with those small windows old cottages have and a tiled porch with thick oak pillars. Donny parked by the front door got out and opened the rear car door next to Lilly. He took off her blindfold and helped her out of the car. “What a cute looking place,” she said walking to the front door

It was secluded which was why he liked it and was always available. It was somewhere he used now and again as a sort of safe house. He had an arrangement with the owner who would move out to stay with his daughter in exchange for a pile of cash.

Inside was small and well looked after but dated. “This is nice,'' she said, “it looks like an old man’s place. Small but comfy. I’m sure I'll be happy here. What a smart carpet with all those patterns and colours. Are the chairs comfy? They look a bit lumpy.”

Donny said, “I think they’re fine. The doors are locked and I’ve security bolted the windows so you won’t be able to get out. Your room’s first on the left upstairs. I’m putting your bag in there.”

“And what about you,” she said looking at Bobby, “you’re very quiet. Are you the shy one? There's always a shy one in all the films.”

Bobby said, “Oh I’m not so shy just that my mate does all the talking. You’ll get plenty of opportunity to listen to me.”

Lilly was quiet for a moment as though she was thinking, remembering maybe, then said, “I hope you’re not going to cut my ear off like that poor Getty boy. I’ve some nice earrings, in pairs that are made for two ears and it would be a shame to have to make do with one. I’d have to maybe find another one eared lady to sell one to. If you’ve got to cut something off I’d much prefer a little finger. I don’t wear anything on my little fingers.”

Bobby said, “you don’t need to worry about that, there’ll be no cutting bits off or tying up for that matter.”

Lilly was quiet again and she was staring at Bobby, “I suppose it’s a ransom you want. Are you planning on sending something to my son? One of those notes with all those cut out letters?”

“Maybe,” said Bobby.

“Well you know he’s pretty useless and I think resents me quite a lot. He wants all my money and my house. That’s all he ever talks about. He wants to handle all my money. Look after it for me is what he says. Spend it all more likely, that’s what I say. He’ll like all this. He’ll be overjoyed. Don’t expect him to pay anything. It’s much more likely he wouldn’t want me back.”

“He can’t be all that bad, surely. After all he’s your son.”

“Oh I think you’ll find he is but we’ll see, won’t we? If he won’t pay up at least I’ll  know how he really does feel about me. Well I’m to bed. It's well past that time for me. Any instructions before I leave you two?”

When she had gone Bobby took off the mask and said, “that was a lot easier than I thought it would be. She seems very relaxed. I would’ve thought she would be scared.”

“You’re right it was easy, she’s some lady alright. Still she’s here and that’s what counts and she won’t be missed for a while at least. So far so good eh. Well I’m leaving it to you now Bobby. I’ve things to do. Call me if there are any problems.”

Bobby put the thing he had bought into the kitchen and went to bed shortly after Donny left and slept right through until about nine when he suddenly sprung to life. Still wearing his sleeping shorts and T-shirt he looked into Lilly’s room and she was not there. The bed was made and everything was neat and tidy. He looked in the wardrobe and all her clothes were hanging up. Her pills were on the dressing table. Going downstairs he saw the front door was open so grabbed his phone and hurriedly rang Donny.

“Morning Bobby,” said Donny in response to Bobby’s call, “how’s our guest this morning?”

“Gone,” is all Bobby said but maybe a bit too hastily.

“What d’you mean she’s gone?”

“I mean she’s gone. The front door is open and the sun’s glaring in and she’s not here which means she’s gone, doesn’t it? I can’t see her outside either.”

“Did you not see her this morning?”

“No, I just got up and she was gone.”

“What you mean you’ve just got up? Why are you up so late? Surely you should have been up sharpish. I told you to be up at daybreak didn’t I? Get her up and make sure she’s ok”

“I dunno. I was just so tired, It’s that Gloria, she wore me out.”

“Come on Bobby, you need to get a grip. You’ve gotta be professional, we can't afford to be slapdash. Anyway, how'd she get out? The door was locked, wasn't it?”

“Dunno. It was locked I made sure of that last night and I’ve got the key.”

“Well have a look around and see if you can find her anywhere. I’m involved at the moment but phone me back when you can,” and Donny abruptly hung up. Bobby could hear the exasperation. Donny had that very annoyed kind of voice and Bobby thought, like Donny said, maybe he was not too professional at being a kidnapper. In fact he was feeling pretty useless and expected Donny thought he was as well.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 4

Chapter 2

Chapter 3