Chapter 12

 

          Bobby threw on some clothes, jeans and loose-fit T-shirt and trainers and was just going out the door when he saw Lilly walking slowly along the drive towards the house looking smart in a blue top and cream slacks with her hair obviously brushed and looking neat. She stopped and looked up into the hedge and smiled and said something then carried on walking. She was carrying a white plastic bag. Bobby had just enough time to slip on the ski mask before she saw him.

“You look a bit forlorn standing there in that regalia. What a lovely day. Did you see that robin there in the hedge? Friendly things Robins. When I work in the garden they always come and see me. They chat to me, you know.”

Bobby was a bit lost for words then managed, “Where’ve you been? I’ve been worried. I was just coming to look for you.”

“Are you worried I’d escaped or worried for me?”

“Worried for you of course. I didn’t want you to get lost or hurt.”

“You’re not much of a kidnapper are you? And oversleeping as well. I always thought kidnappers were rough, tough guys with gruff hard voices. Why don’t you take that ridiculous mask off? I know who you are so there’s no point keeping it on, is there Robert?,” she said kind of laughing a bit.

Pulling off the mask he said, “How’d you know who I was?”

“It was the cat man comment. I saw you arrive at my house and you both standing there on the doorstep with those stupid masks on. I must admit I was a bit worried at first. I was in my bedroom. It has the bay window at the front and I could see the driveway and the steps. I heard you coming. One advantage of a gravel drive is there’s no sneaking in. When I asked who you were you said about being the cat man then I knew it must be you. You’re the only person I’ve spoken to about the cat man. You remember when you came on Monday I mistook you for him. I’ve not found Molly yet. I do think she’s left me. And of course there’s your voice. You have a particular way of talking and I only saw you two days ago so I’m hardly going to forget that, am I?”

Bobby said, “I’m so sorry about Molly, I remember her from when I came first time. A lovely old cat. But why did you not call the police? And you opened the door.”

“Well to be honest I never thought of it. As soon as I knew it was you I was not worried at all. All I thought about really was what on earth were you thinking of. Kidnapping me. I thought you must be doing it for a very good reason. There had to be a good reason, didn’t there? and I wanted to know what it was. Anyway life’s just so dull and I thought it would be a bit of excitement and I didn’t feel threatened so…. You know my friend Vivian and I were only saying the other day, it was Saturday at lunch, that’s right Saturday, we were saying we needed some excitement in our lives and there you were offering me some…... So who’s your friend?”

“His name’s Donny and he’s not best pleased with me for letting you escape.”

“Oh I didn’t escape, I just let myself out. I wanted to go for a walk and see where I am. I got up at six and had a shower and got dressed. I looked in on you but you were well away with the fairies so I just thought I’d go for a stroll. You know there’s a nice shop down the lane. I’ve got some pineapple juice.” holding up the bag, “You’ve brought a lot of nice things with you but didn’t bring any pineapple juice and I have it everyday for the Bromelain. Not that you were to know of course. It's good for lots of things you know. ”

“But how’d you manage to get out? I’ve got the key.”

“Well that was not so difficult. This is an old man's house, that’s obvious and I’m in his room. Where do old men keep things they want to keep safe?” Bobby shrugged, “in their bedside drawers where their socks are. Spare keys are with their socks. For some reason they think things are safe there. Bit dumb really don’t you think? I hope you remember that when you’re an old man.”

“I think I will, thank you for the tip. You know I can understand all this but why did you come back? Anyone in the shop would have helped you I’m sure and you could have just gone home.”

“I’ve already told you I want some fun and this so-called kidnapping is becoming a bit of fun. It’s all quite amusing really. And of course a mystery and I like a good mystery. Why did you do it? That’s the question. As I said there has to be a reason and I want to know it.”

“To be perfectly honest I’m not too sure. It was Donny’s idea, he just kind of persuaded me I suppose.”

“Well I’m sure there’s something going on that needs all this palava. All I know is you're definitely not cut out to be a kidnapper. You’re a nice, happy man and the way you say things makes me grin. On the other hand though your friend Donny…. I recognise his name.”

“Like I said, it was really his idea. He was very persuasive although I must admit I was tempted by the possibility of some cash. I’m broke, you see.”

“There was a man called Donny who came to see my husband about six months ago, just before he was in the accident. Max told me. Donny or Donald Caruthers he said his name was and I thought he said he was a policeman.”

“That's Donny all right but I'm not sure about him being a policeman, I think he’s an estate agent. At least he always goes on about houses he’s sold. But there again I’ve not seen anything around his flat. Estate Agent things like brochures and all that sort of stuff.”

“I’m only saying because it’s what Max said and Max is usually right you know. Maybe Donny has the very good reason to kidnap me.”

“Well he'll be here sometime I’m sure and we’ll ask him and maybe find out what this is all about because I’m starting to think there’s something going on that I’ve not been told about. I’ll have to phone him to let him know you’re safe.”

 

When his phone rang Donny was just arriving at Max’s house. He saw Bobby's name come up and pressed answer and heard, “hi Donny Lilly’s come back.”

“What d’you mean she’s come back.” Donny said.

“Just that. She went for a walk and now she’s back and sitting eating toast and drinking the pineapple juice she’d bought in that little shop down the lane.”

“She just went for a walk? Is that all?”

“Yup and she’s come back and we’ve been having a talk and she knows who I am. She recognised my voice and the thing I said about the cat man. She’s wondering why we would kidnap her. She thinks that it’s something you might know about. Oh and I told her your name.”

“But she’s ok? That’s the most important thing.”

“Sure she's ok.” and he said, “ It’s Donny Lilly, say hi.”

“Hi Donny,” Donny heard.

“One thing she said that’s very interesting. She said she thinks you’re a policeman. You a policeman Donny? And this kidnap thing…..have you been stringing me along? ”

Donny was quiet then said, “she’s right I am and I’ll explain later first though I’ve some things to do and something to pick up so will get there when I can. Hopefully I won’t be too long. But please stay put. This is really important. Don’t leave the house and don’t let Lilly wander off. You’ll stay put? I cannot emphasise enough how important this is.”

Bobby could hear the concern in Donny’s voice and knew he was being deadly serious, “we’ll stay put Donny don’t worry and Lilly won’t be going anywhere, will you Lilly?”

And Donny heard her say, “I’m staying here Donny don’t worry on my behalf.” And she knew something serious was going on and she very much expected it concerned Freddie and what he had done to so upset Aubrey.

 

The passenger door creaked as it opened. “Don’t you ever dress down?” Donny said as Max got into the car wearing his trademark attire.

Max said with one of those making a point deliberate voices, “I wear the clothes of my profession when I’m working and we’re going to the house, the place of my employment so I dress accordingly. I have changed exactly for that purpose.”

“Well I admire your professionalism but there’s no need for my benefit.”

“I disagree there’s every need. I like to maintain standards.”

“You must like the job then, being Lilly’s Butler.”

“Oh I’m more than a Butler. I’m the housekeeper, cook, driver, handyman, gardener and of course her confidant and I very much like the work. How is Mrs Beauchamp? I hope you’re looking after her.”

“She’s fine. I’ve got that financial guy Bobby Lucas looking after her. You know the fella that came to see her. She’ll like him, everyone does.”

Being a bit concerned Max said, “I would like to see her to make sure she’s all right. Maybe I can offer you my services.”

Donny thought a few seconds then decided that Bobby would seem to be in need of some help and said, “I don’t see that’s a problem. She knows who we all are now anyway. I'll write down the address and you can make your way over. So do you have any idea where Aubrey might have hid this ledger or whatever it is?”

“Not really. Somewhere in his study maybe. But it could be anywhere.”

Donny followed Max around to the side of the house and Max unlocked a door under a covered porch and they went straight into the laundry room then through to the kitchen. Large and modern and well fitted.

“One thing I’m sure of it won’t be in here. This is my domain and I would notice anything out of place.”

“We’ll try the study first,” said Donny.

The study yielded nothing nor did the setting room or bedroom.

“Would Lilly know where Aubrey might hide things?” Donny said.

“I’m not sure,” said Max, “maybe.”

“I think we’re wasting our time here. I’ll ask her when I see her. Let’s go and I'll drop you off.”

“I thought I would stay if you think it’s safe. There are a few things that need doing that have been neglected in my absence. Then I’ll go and see Mrs Beauchamp.”

“It’s a free world Max,” said Donny, “I’ll take you to get your car then you can get back here when you like. Just be careful and call me if anything occurs.”

Donny left thinking about a black Range Rover and the look on the driver’s face as he went by and thought there was more to him than just someone who lived in the country.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 4

Chapter 2

Chapter 3