Chapter 14

         


        It was the afternoon and the air was clear and the day had warmed up to be another hot one. Donny was heading for the house and an explaining session. His car lacked aircon but even with all the windows down he was still roasting. It was a relief when his phone buzzed with that text arriving buzz and he pulled over into the shade of a tree lined lay-by. He opened the door and kind of shuffled out to sit on an uncomfortable iron bench in the cooling breeze.

The opening lines of the text read, “the man is known simply as Mr Jones and is deadly. His actual name and identity are not known.” The rest of the text was background stuff. Summed up as Mr Jones was an investigator. A fixer. A gun for hire. A known assassin with what Donny thought a somewhat amusing tag, ‘Handled With Care.’

Getting back in the car he hit first gear and checking the road did a u-turn heading for his flat. There was something there he felt he should pick up.

 

It was after five when he arrived and punched the numbers into the security lock on the communal front door. The door closed automatically behind him with a dull but audible thump and a loud metallic click as the lock engaged. Almost running up the stairs as he approached the first landing he saw Rita standing there looking nervous with her hands wringing in front of her wearing her trademark apron, the floral type with the big bow in front and her hair held up in a bunch looking like she had been cleaning.

“I was hoping it was you, Donny. Thank goodness it’s you and not him again.” she said and he could see her face had that kind of worried look, a sort of anxious look. And her glasses were wonky and they were never wonky.

“Are you alright Rita?” he said, “you don’t look your normal self.”

“I heard the door click and there was a man on the stairs. He came right up to me. I’ve not seen him before.”

“When was this?” Donny said.

“Oh about an hour ago I suppose. He was very strange. Had a sort of menacing way about him. He really shook me up. I don’t know how he got in through the security door. We’re supposed to be safe with that door, aren't we?” she said and Donny could see the beginnings of tears in her eyes.

“We are but I don’t think it’s too difficult to get in. He might have just waited until someone came out. People come and go all the time, don’t they? Lots of delivery people as well and they don’t know who lives here so might not have been suspicious.” Then he put his hand on her shoulder and kind of gently squeezed a bit and she calmed down some and smiled at him.  “Anyway Rita, what did he look like?”

“Tall. He was a tall man and he looked at me through dark rimmed glasses that made his eyes look big, narrow eyes though. He was kind of whistling as he came up the stairs. No particular tune, just quietly whistling. His feet were clompy with those thick soled brogues so I couldn't miss him coming.”

“He didn’t hurt you?” said Donny.

“No, he just stopped when he saw me and asked if I knew you. Said he had come to see you. He spoke very quietly with his mouth hardly moving. His lips were thin and he had a moustache, a narrow one….oh and one of those cloth caps. He had a smile all the time he talked but not a happy smile. It was sort of just there if you know what I mean. Strange though, he called you Donald. But everyone calls you Donny, don’t they? I just said you were out and he looked at me with this long stare that went right through. Then he just said something about calling back and went. I’ve been so worried he would come back. I didn’t take to him at all.”

“I don’t think he’ll be back today but you should maybe stay indoors when people arrive just in case though. For a few days at least. I know you like to chat but it's better to be safe, isn’t it? I’ll see if anything can be done to make entry more secure. Do you want to come up with me? We can have a cuppa and a chat.”

“No I'm alright really and I’ll do as you say and stay inside for a while.”

“Well thanks anyway Rita for looking out for my place. You need anything just call up. You know my phone number. I’ll call in later, when I go out.”

 

“Mr Jones,” thought Donny as he opened his front door, “Mr Jones at Freddie’s earlier, that’s how he got to me. He must be working for…. who? The drug dealers or James Munroe? And he wants the evidence and he thinks Freddie might have it. Why would he think that? Because someone told him and the only person who would do that would be James Munroe. He recruited Freddie so he controlled Freddie. The Organisation probably had no interest in who laundered their money. That was James Munroe’s problem.” And Donny had a hunch James Munroe was using Mr Jones to cover up a problem. A problem of Freddie’s creation. He needed to speak to Freddie. Things had taken a turn with the introduction of Mr Jones. A very dangerous turn. From now on he would have to be very careful.

He opened a drawer in the kitchen and took out a cross headed screwdriver then went into his bedroom and to the en-suite. He removed the extractor cover and fished about in the ducting and pulled out a plastic bag. After replacing the cover he took the bag into the sitting room and unwrapped a police issue Glock 17, 9mm and holster. He cleaned it regularly so was satisfied with it’s condition. Snapping in the magazine and deciding the holster was too obvious he put the gun in his jacket pocket. At only two pounds fully loaded it was not too heavy to cause a problem.

Then he dialled Max’s number, “hi Max,” he said when Max answered, “you at the house?”

“Of course.” Max’s reply was as expected, precise and to the point.

Donny said, “Things have changed and I don’t think you should be there at the moment. I gave you the address of the house Lilly is staying at. I think it would be a good idea if you went there.”

“When?” was the only reply.

“As soon as you can.” Donny said.

“In that case I will leave this evening.”

“Thank you Max. I'm heading that way now so will see you there.”

On his way out around six Donny knocked on Rita’s door with Rita answering with the security chain clipped on and talking through the gap. Satisfied she was recovered and safe he wasted no time in making his way through quite heavy traffic to the house where Bobby and Lilly were.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 4

Chapter 2

Chapter 3