Chapter 17

            

 Leaving the cottage Donny drove as quickly as the narrow lanes would allow picking up time as he hit the more major roads. It still took over forty minutes to reach Freddie’s house. The blue Mercedes was in the driveway and the house looked quiet with all the lights on. The front door was closed so he picked up the black solid iron knocker and hit a few times on the oak door. With no answer he looked through the adjacent window into the study but with no one visible he went around the back.

The kitchen door was open and the lights on. He could smell steak and chilli. All was quiet so he pulled his gun from his jacket pocket and slowly crept into the kitchen. Freddie was slumped forward with his head on his raised knees. Moving past Freddie into the hallway he checked the downstairs rooms. Then upstairs.

Back in the kitchen and satisfied the house was empty he reached into his inside pocket and withdrawing his phone pressed dial next to his Guv’nor’s number.

“I’m at Freddie’s house Guv,” he said, “and he’s been shot. Mr Jones got here before me.”

“The gun?”

“Looks like a small calibre which would fit with Mr Jones's preference.”

“Do you know if the records were recovered?”

“No but I’m also not sure if Freddie had them. If he did I’m positive he’d not take much persuading to give them up.”

“If he did then our investigation is effectively over…..Ok I'll get forensics organised. You’ll have to stay put until they arrive with a team.”

“This adds a new dimension. Gov. Mr Jones has been to my flat. He saw me watching Freddie this morning. We need to get protection in place as soon as we can. ”

“What about Lilly Beauchamp. Is she safe?”

“Probably for now. She’s aware of the situation.”

“How did that come about? This was supposed to be low profile.”

“It was not difficult and I’d expected anyway. Lilly knew Bobby Lucas quite well so as soon as they were alone that was it. But then the whole point was to get her out the house without fuss, wasn’t it? And so far she’s been willing and hopefully safe although I don’t want them there alone for too long. Bobby’s a great guy but I don’t think he’s the hero type. They would be in real trouble if Jones were to locate them.”

“How about the records then? What about them?”

“The way I see it, if Jones has them then…. well that would be it right? We’d have to start again and they’d know all about our investigation. If he hasn't got them he’ll keep looking and that would mean involving Lilly. He works for James Munroe, doesn't he? so hopefully they’re the only ones involved so far. It’s in James’s interest to keep this quiet. He’ll know if there’s any risk of his employers knowing he’d be in real trouble. I’ll stick close to Lilly for the time being just in case. That’s all we can do at the moment, isn’t it. Just wait and see.”

Hanging up he searched the house until the SOCO team arrived then empty handed he returned to his car and quickly drove back to the cottage wondering how he would tell Lilly and how she would take the news.

 

Mr Jones replaced his gun in his jacket pocket and took out his phone. When James answered he said, “I’m at Freddie’s house,” he said when James answered.

“And Freddie?” asked James, his voice quiet and controlled.

“Dead and before you ask he didn’t have the ledger.”

“You sure?”

“Positive. He’d have given it up if he had it.”

Becoming a bit agitated James said, “It must be at the house. You know what to do, don’t you?”

“The lady’s not there but I know where she is.” Mr Jones remaining cool.

Starting to raise his voice, James said, “She must know something. You’ll have to get her to the house won’t you? Then find it. If you don’t we’ll all be dead.”

“Not all of us. Just you. I’m only the messenger boy after all.” Jones said with a small smirking laugh that made James rile.

“But I’ll take you down with me if it comes to it so don’t think you’re too safe.” he said, almost shouting in a rage, “You killed Aubrey as well and you’d do well to remember that. I have proof. The thing with phones these days is conversations can be recorded and one thing solicitors are is meticulous.” Then he regretted saying that and certainly regretted saying it to someone like Mr Jones.

Mr Jones’s voice turned hard and he said with a very harsh emphasis, “ok I’ll do what you want but don’t you ever threaten me. You understand. Threaten me again you’ll pay. You don’t ever want to become one of my loose ends. They are very quickly tied off.” And he swiped the red dot.

About fifteen minutes before Donny arrived Mr Jones had left Freddie’s house thinking he would have to plan the next moves very carefully. He was sure now who Donny was and with a detective hanging around things could become quite difficult. It was clear that the wife had been moved to the cottage as a precaution so Detective Caruthers was sure to be there. That detective had chosen the place well. Secluded and that long narrow driveway meant a silent approach from that direction was near impossible. He would have to check if there was another route and that needed daylight.

 

It was quite late when Donny arrived back at the cottage but the lights were still on. Walking in he said to Bobby, “any problems?”

“Nope. Did you see Freddie?” And Donny was quiet.

“Well?” said Lilly.

“Mr Jones had been there first,” was all Donny said then sat down.

Lilly looked at Bobby then Max with her hand over her mouth and tears in her eyes, “and Freddie?” she said but already knowing the answer.

“He was in the kitchen. I’m so sorry Lilly. I was too late. He’d been shot.”

Lilly sat on the sofa with her hands clenched in her lap and there was a kind of quiet awkward inactivity, the sort when no one knows quite what to do. Then Max sat next to her and very gently touched her hand. That was all just a gentle touch, almost a stroke but so delicate she would hardly have felt it. But she did and unclenching her hands she rested a hand on top of his and said, “thank you Max but it’s alright. I’m alright. I tried to warn him, didn't I? All this is of his making. I don’t really blame him…. no that’s wrong, I do blame him. He did get my Aubrey murdered. I know it was not intentional but he did, didn’t he? Aubrey died because of him and his greed. Really he’s only got himself to blame.”

Bobby was first to speak, “any sign of Mr Jones then Donny?” and the awkward atmosphere was broken.

With a slight outlet of breath, a kind of release of tension breath, Donny said, “no but I don’t think he’d been gone long.”

“What about any ledgers? Do you think he had them?” Bobby said.

“I don’t know. If he did have them I’m sure Mr Jones would have them now so we might not see him again. If he didn’t then….. we’ll have to take care until they’re found. I've asked my Guv’nor to get some security in place. That will happen tomorrow now so tonight we should be safe here. Tomorrow we’ll think again. We have to find those records so have a good think Lilly. See if anything comes up to indicate where they are.”

“I’m picking up Gloria at nine. Is that still ok?” said Bobby.

“Sure it’ll be good to get her here. She might cheer us up.”

 

 

 

                                                         

                                                             

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 4

Chapter 2

Chapter 3