Chapter 21

 

There was a still silence. Donny was holding his gun in two hands in the regulation pose and Max was in front of Lilly. Bobby was the first to move. He reached Gloria and helped her up and she clung to him with a sob of relief. Donny relaxed, flicked on the safety and put his gun back in his pocket then walked to the poolside to look at the floating Mr Jones. Max stood up and asked Lilly if she was all right and she silently nodded a reply.

Donny, still looking at Mr Jones, said, “is everyone ok?” then when they all stayed quiet, “that was close. He was one nasty piece of work was that one.”

Bobby said, “this is all so surreal, a bit of a dream really. Just like in the movies.”

And Gloria, still shaken but recovered enough to speak, replied saying, “yeah Bobby just like the end of Sunset Boulevard, eh. But with different people and a different pool and a different floating body.”

As he walked away from the pool Donny was holding his phone, “Guv’nor,” he said and told the story about Mr Jones.

His Guv’nor then said, “this Mr Jones has paid a visit to James Munroe. Munroe’s been shot. I’ve a team there going through the offices. You need to find those records, Donny. We need to act fast now.” 

 

It was just a short while later when they had all recovered a bit and were sitting at the terrace table that Donny said, “can we have a look for that album now Lilly?” he had been impatiently waiting for the right moment and they all now seemed more relaxed.

“Of course,” she said and they followed her into the study.

Lilly pointed to the top shelf of the bookcase on the rear wall and the line of albums. Thick green leather volumes with wide deep spines. She indicated the third from the end, “that one there,” and then, “sorry no that one.” pointing to the next one.

Donny pulled it out and putting it on the desk started to flick through the pages. There were only photographs. The album was just crammed full of photographs. “Just photos,” he said, “nothing else. No papers or accounts or invoices. Nothing. Is this the only Rome one Lilly?”

“It is,” she said, “there aren't even any albums of any other place in Italy.”

Bobby said, “but does it have to be papers?”

Donny said, “I assume it is. All the references have been for some records that Aubrey had made. That kind of indicates ledgers or the like, doesn’t it?”

“Maybe,” said Bobby, “but we’re in an electronic age, aren’t we? Who uses paper these days? Everything I do is on computers. All files and ledgers everything. Perhaps Aubrey copied things. Scanned it. He could have copied all the ledgers that would have been on the company computers surely. And he could have downloaded any invoice details. Maybe taken photos of hard copies. Put it all on one of those memory sticks and hidden that. Give me that album Donny.”

He looked through the pages then felt down the spine and stopped near the bottom. “There,” he said, “there’s something there. A small hard ridge,” and he pushed down the spine and carefully eased out a memory stick. “There you go. All the information you need will be on that I’m sure.”

 

Donny spent the next hour in the study on the phone making several calls by the end of which the house was crawling with policemen and white suited investigators. They were all asked to make statements which was not too difficult given that they were all involved in the same way.

He returned saying, “they found records in James’s office of all the companies involved in the money laundering. As you would expect of a solicitor he was meticulous. Nothing was particularly well hidden. I think he must have been very confident of his safety. There’s a courier coming to take this,” holding up the memory stick, “by tomorrow we should know the outcome but I suspect we will at least be able to choke off the supply of money and hopefully be in a position to close them down completely.”

Lilly had been quite for a while seemingly deep in thought, “Well there’s a lot of sorting out to do, especially around here. I’ve got some decisions to make. When will all these people leave Donny?”

“Shouldn’t be too long. Perhaps an hour.”

“There’s food here if you all want to stay. I’ve so many rooms you can stay the night if you want. There’s no point driving back if it’s late. Besides, I'd really appreciate the company. I think I’m getting used to having all you people around me. But I’m starting to feel this has been a bit too stressful. I’d said to my friend Vivian about how we needed some excitement in our lives but I do think this has taken that a bit too far. I’ll be having a long lunch on Saturday won’t I?”

 

Early next morning Bobby and Gloria were sitting at the garden room terrace having breakfast. They could hear talking coming from the garden room and getting louder. Donny came through the French doors saying into his phone, “thanks Guv, that's great news.” looking at Bobby and Gloria he continued, “they raided several addresses early this morning. It seems there’s enough evidence to put a load of people away for quite some time. They found phone conversation recordings as well as other records so thanks for your help Bobby….” he was interrupted as Lilly came out.

Bobby said, “There you go Lilly, what did I say earlier?”

“What was that then Bobby?”

“I’d said one time I’d be here first sipping tea and eating breakfast as you came in a bit bleary eyed  and you’d say….”

Laughing Lilly said, “I slept in Bobby, I don’t know why but I just slept in….”

“And I’d say ten years of getting up early and you deserve a lay in except this time I think it’s because so much has happened it just knocked you out. See I’m a fountain of knowledge, aren’t I?”

“I’d say a fountain of something a lot more unpleasant,” said Gloria with a gentle chuckle.

Bobby smiled one of those very funny kind of smiles and said, “Donny’s just been telling us how we’re all heroes Lilly. What d’you think of that then?”

“I think you need a job to get you away from all those movies for a while. Let’s talk about that shall we….”

Then Max came in wearing tan chinos and a blue polo with a fresh pot of tea and toast, “you’re looking refreshed Lilly. I see you slept well for a change.”

Lilly looked at him in a kind of wide eyed way, the sort of way that shows real astonishment, “why Max have you finally dropped all the formal stuff. I like your new outfit.”

“This is the new me Lilly. Take a good look in case I change my mind.”

Lilly looked at Gloria and Bobby, “as I was saying Bobby, maybe we should have a talk about jobs and things. I did sleep well but spent quite a bit of time thinking before I went to sleep. I want to take you up on the investment proposals.”

“That could be a bit tricky. I gave the advice through the old company so don’t actually have the right credentials in place to act on my own.”

“But you are qualified aren’t you?”

“Sure. I have all the qualifications I need and more.”

“Then it’s only a paper exercise to get registered or something I assume.”

“That’s right but I can’t afford it at the moment. I need some substance behind me to make it work and of course that’s all gone.”

“Well like I said I’ve been thinking and I’ve a proposal for you. I’ll fund you to get you started on the condition that you handle all my financial affairs. That includes everything. You can start your own business and expand it but I would always want to be your number one customer. Can you do that.”

Bobby said in a kind of shocked voice, “sure I can but are you sure. You don’t really know me, do you?”

“Oh I know you alright Bobby Lucas, that’s one thing you can be sure about. You don’t need to worry about that. And another thing. I have that empty gate house if you want somewhere to live. It could be temporary or permanent, I don’t mind. It just needs a bit of work to get it nice but I’m sure between us we can sort that out. You’d be doing me a big favour. I’ve spent a lot of time wondering what to do with it. It needs to be lived in or it will end up falling down.”

“I don’t know what to say,” is all Bobby could say.

“Just say yes, oh and thank you would be nice.”

“No problem Lilly. All said and in that order.”

“Now Gloria, what are your plans? Max and I have been talking and have decided that I need a secretary, someone to help me keep on top of all the things I’m involved in and Max needs a sort of housekeeper person. This is a big house and needs looking after and besides it needs happy young people around the place. Would you be interested? Pays good and I suspect that accommodation would be available if you wanted.” nodding towards Bobby, “What do you say?”

“There’s only one reply I can make Lilly, isn’t there. Like Bobby. Yes and thank you.” And she looked at Bobby and smiled.

Donny said, “see Bobby what did I tell you? I told you, didn't I? I said that kidnapping would have its advantages.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 4

Chapter 2

Chapter 3